Sunday 7 November 2010

Hard horror from Britain's shadowy past


I’m pleased to be able to report that my Ash-Tree collection, WALKERS IN THE DARK, will very soon be going into print in a hardback version (cover art to be posted soon).

It was originally published last March for the World Horror Convention in Brighton, in a special softback edition, though more than a few folk at the time elected to wait for this hardback to come out. Well, they won’t have to wait much longer.

WALKERS IN THE DARK contains three new novellas and two short novels, the locations for which vary from the Highlands of Scotland to the Welsh mountains to the industrial wastelands of south Lancashire where I grew up. Because many of these tales are specifically folklore-based, it’s been likened a little in some reviews to GHOST REALM, my Ash-Tree collection of 2008, which also plumbed the darkest depths of homespun English mythology (and also consisted entirely of original material). For those interested, both books can be acquired from the usual Ash-Tree outlet:

http://www.ash-tree.bc.ca/ashtreecurrent.html

On a slightly different matter, I had the pleasure last week of attending a posh London club and watching the first rushes of THE DEVIL’S ROCK, which is now in post-production and is expected to go on release next April.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1712578/

This is my second movie script to go on to completion – the first was SPIRIT TRAP in 2005 – but there’s a lot more of me in this one than there was in that. I wrote it while snowed in during last year’s very bitter winter, but it was based on an idea I thrashed out with talented movie director Paul Campion much earlier in the year – even so, sixteen months from conception to post-production registers as a remarkably quick turn-around in this age of restricted development monies. It tells the tale of an Allied commando raid on a German base in the build-up to D-Day, which uncovers a very fiendish plot. It may not sound like a horror movie, but students of the genre need not be alarmed. This is an out-and-out supernatural chiller, complete with lashings of in-yer-face grue.

I treated myself to a celebratory drink afterwards. There’s truly no greater thrill for a writer than seeing your stuff on the big screen.

2 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed the stories/novellas in the Paperback edition of this book. I envy the readers who would be able to appreciate these stories in the format that they deserve, namely Hardcover and that too as per the wonderful specifications of ATP editions. But since the Paperback is now the rare WHC edition, maybe others would envy us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right there, Riju. The softback issued for World Horror could become quite collectable, as there weren't too many of them. As far as I'm aware, they're now sold out.

    ReplyDelete